[Amps] cathode to ground in tetrode amp

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 30 18:56:09 EST 2006

What I looked at in the schematic didn't make one lick of sense to put a cathode choke to ground on a grid driven amp, then place a shunt resistor across the choke (especially that high of value). The resistor wouldn't serve any purpose unless the choke opened. And if it did, you'd really be better off not to have the resistor so the tube would not conduct at all. Also, the choke isn't needed as there's NO RF there to block from ground. He also put a RF choke across the attenuator resistor going to the control grid. That don't make sense to me. I would think you would use two non-inductive resistors (Rich will jump me for calling them that). He also has a choke in series with one of the attenuators resistors going to ground which would raise the inpedance there too. All I've ever seen here, for an attenuator, is a couple of non-inductive resistors. Why put a choke in series with the screen lead? All that's needed is a bypass cap at the tube socket pin. Here, the cap is on the other side of the choke where it's shouldn't be. Last, there's a 0.001 bypass cap hooked right from the control grid to ground on the wrong side of the RF blocking choke. The RF will go to ground and not to the tube! Am I missing something about this?

Best,

Will