[Amps] [BULK]Re: [BULK]Re: cathode to ground in tetrode amp

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 30 21:17:02 EST 2006

Joe,

The original design (black drawing) came from a Russian website or some place like that as I remember seeing it elsewhere. It was a working amp and can see easily what they done. Only thing though is that it uses a series regulator for the screen. The schematic on down the page I guess is by the author, and is totally different. It looks to me like someone went wild using chokes for everything and put them where they wasn't needed. In other words like a choke was added on every source. If you notice, they put a choke in series with the attenuator resistor to ground on the input and that wasn't needed (here you want some RF to go to ground as that's its purpose, a voltage divider. Same as the cathode choke and screen grid circuit choke, why? The capacitance of that bypass in the control grid circuit looks to me to be a perfect RF short to ground at say 160-10 meters. At 10 meters, heck a couple hundred pF would be a killer. There he has a 1000 pF which is what most use as a bypass at a tube pin, or behind a choke on the supply side. At 160-10 meters, that's correct for a coupling cap too. Also, look at the inductance of the plate choke. It's only 40 uH total, and that's pretty small to be operating at the low frequencies. The only chokes that looks right to me is the RF safety choke off the Load C, and the one off the control voltage at 200 uH. I may be wrong though.

Best,

Will