[Amps] Hi Potting a 4-1000

R.Measures r at somis.org
Tue Jan 31 06:32:11 EST 2006

On Jan 30, 2006, at 4:11 PM, Kurt Lacko wrote:

> I have a 4-1000 tube of questionable origin.  I don't have an
> amplifier to test it and before asking someone to drop it in their amp
> I want to test as best I can first. My Hi Pot setup goes to 10KV.

Ideally, the high-pot should go to 2x the rated anode potential,
however, my experience has been that gassy tubes begin to fluoresce at
only a few kV.

> What voltage should I be able to go to (grid/anode)and what would be
> an acceptable leakage (in micro amps)at that voltage?  Should this
> test be with or without energized filaments?

Not energized.

> Anything else I should do or know about.

Without a built-in ion pump, gassy tubes can not be rehabilitated
unless the Fairy Godmother happens to be in the neighborhood, and she's
packing her Magic Wand.

cheers, Kurt