[Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Jul 3 13:29:56 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Isabella

Okay, so how is that tested?  White noise?  Tones?  Voice?  Max power?  Max allowed ALC?  No ALC?

Come on Michael, there's no way that would be anything but arbitrary, as a lot of the ARRL's "measurements" already are.

Joe, N3JI

White noise with a peak-to-average ratio typical of voice
transmission, processor on, maximum allowed ALC, and
output power adjusted to maximum rated PEP output of
transceiver. IMO, this would provide a good measure of
whether the rig is capable of reasonably clean operation.

BTW, I am not as concerned about signal bandwidth (3KHz
vs 4 KHz vs 6KHz) as others appear to be. My concern is
with spectral regrowth caused by IMD. In my mind, a guy
running 2.6 KHz signal bandwidth with horibble IMD products
stretching +/- 10 KHz of his center frequency is much more
offensive than a guy running 4 KHz "Hi-Fi" bandwidth into a
class A amplifier that has very low IMD products resembling
a brick-wall spectral mask. IOW, I wouldn't have a problem
stretching or offseting the mask to accommodate variations
in the signal bandwidth.