[Amps] Maximum RF output in practical application: 4-250A

Joe Isabella n3ji at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 14:39:03 EDT 2006

White noise is definitely worst-case, and with max allowed ALC it makes an ugly spectral plot.  However, I'm not sure what you mean by "white noise with a peak-to-average ratio typical of voice...".  White noise will drive the rig from the lowest to highest audio freq it will pass, and beyond at an equal level.  Also, max ALC and max *rated* PEP aren't necessarily the same level, and would likely drastically change the measurement.  My rig, for example has substantial IMD products when driven into max ALC, but when driven with no ALC at ~90W, they are WAY down even with white noise.  I need to do this experiment again and get pictures of the analyzer -- when I did it last time, I just made notes.  I'll do that this week and post the results...

But I'm glad to hear that you would be willing to tolerate wider occupied BW, that logic has escaped a lot of folks, as well as the ARRL.  Honestly though, I doubt it would change anything even if the ARRL's proposal was implemented.  Those who operate a nasty station will probably continue to do so, and those that operate a clean 4k station will continue to do so.  I just wonder how many "BW Cops" will be created running around with their ProIIIs (or whatever) telling everyone they're "too wide" (hell, it already happens!!)...

Joe, N3JI