[Amps] FL-2100B

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Jul 13 08:39:25 EDT 2006

> I'm still in the process of restoring an old FL-2100B and
> have just replaced
> a few door-knob caps that had fallen apart!!
>
> I've just attempted to align the input coils and have
> managed this on all
> bands with the exception of 20M, which has very high input
> SWR across the
> whole range of the variable inductor. I've checked the
> inductor and 2 caps
> that correspond to 20M, and these look structurally sound.
> Before I take
> these out to check to see if they are still working, is
> there anything else
> I should check that would effect 20m only ?

David,

It isn't unusual to find a few  bad input circuit capacitors
along with some failed output circuit caps. I've never
noticed any other amplifier series that had so many small
cap failures as the factor capacitors in the FL2100 series,
even when the caps are well oversized.

I think the capacitors in the FL2100's are really
mislabeled. They should be called crapacitors, not
capacitors.

73 Tom