[Amps] transformers

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Tue Jul 18 01:20:32 EDT 2006

What kind of watts?

>  I think what you are trying to ask is how would I measure
> the total power emitted from a transmitter that is modulated by single
> sideband voice.
> Two ways come to mind. First I would use a spectrum analyzer and crank up
> the
> persistance then measure the area under the curve. The rest is math.  But
> now you have to assume a bandwidth.

You would also have to designate a given time for the measurement. Watt
seconds would be the result? You would also have to know the amount of
compression and the frequency content of the audio.
PEP seems a little more practical.

> The second way would be to actually calculate and sum the area under each
> envelope of each tone
> produced and do it in real time.

It seems that would be a necessity with your method.

>Oh, and while we are splitting hairs,
> don't forget the carrier
> suppression. A lot of ssb I hear, isn't.

Also amount of distortion products present would be necessary to know if you
are worried about carrier.

> As I recall, the  advent of PEP brought us cross needle peak reading power
> meters.
> I think an artificial horizon indicator would  yield more useable results.
>
> Mike  k1ern

You seem to be saying that finding total average power over a given amount
of time would be the way to make the measurement. That would be highly
dependent on program material (voice frequency range, density, bandwidth
etc.) and would tell you little about the capabilities of a particular
transmitters power output abilities.

The peak reading wattmeter still seems the most practical of solutions from
what you have described.

73
Gary  K4FMX