[Amps] Why mu TSPA

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Thu Jul 20 13:45:18 EDT 2006

Exactly, a variety of tube Mu's is a good thing for designers.
Another application of lower to medium mu triodes is for dielectric
and induction heating. In these applications there is a wide swing in
load impedance, as produce is inserted into the work applicator or
removed. I suppose that plasma excited by RF is similar, in that
before it lights, the Z is higher, and then jumps down to very low.
Where the tube is TPTG oscillator, you want to tolerate these wide
fluctations in load Z, with only minor fluctuations showing up on the
grid current. When these changes in plate loadline occur, you don't
want the tube to fall out of oscillation or to have overcurrent and
excess grid dissipation. Medium mu tubes are better in this respect
than high mu as the grid voltage can very (from feedback in the
oscillator) while the tube continues to stay in class C and not be
driven far into positive grid current. Low Mu tubes are best for
series pass tube regulators, as they have a low drop across the tube
with widely varying load current. Not that many of these are built
anymore.

73
John
K5PRO