[Amps] Pi network tuning

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sun Jul 23 22:10:11 EDT 2006

> Please try this question on for size.  With the pi-network
> built, and the tubes in the sockets and AC coupled to the
> pi-network, is it possible to determine that the
> pi-network values are correct by using a Grid Dip Meter to
> determine resonance of the network?  I have a 50 Ohm
> resistor hanging across the output capacitor.

You won't know the impedance transformation, just resonance.

The normal procedure is to terminate the anode to ground
with the expected tube operating load impedance and check
for 50 ohms at the output port with a low power SWR
measurement device. You would also have to know at least one
component value reasonably close and not touch that
component to verify you are close to planned loaded Q.

73 Tom