[Amps] Fw: "Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Jul 25 08:39:21 EDT 2006

Hello John, apart from the real fact (which I'm trying to
follow), what Will
states don't seem to me a contradiction. From what he wrote,
what I understand
is that to become positive is that the grid takes vales
greater than 0 Volt.
All right, if the grid is less negative it becomes more
positive, but still
negative if it's still under 0V potential.>>>

If you read the actual TEXT from Terman, he states the grid
will become positive.

Linky for you to tread:

http://www.w8ji.com/images/Amplifier/Bias%20and%20grid%20fuse/Terman.jpg

People can spin it all they like and say an author didn't
mean what he actually wrote, but the words are there in
black and white.

Giocoletto, in one of the best tube design engineering books
every published (far more detailed than Terman on the
subject of tube circuits and tube construction) also clearly
says the grid can go positive in large tubes with high grid
resistance.

http://www.w8ji.com/images/Amplifier/Bias%20and%20grid%20fuse/Electronic-Designers-Handbo.

So does Electronic Communication by Shrader:

http://www.w8ji.com/images/Amplifier/Bias%20and%20grid%20fuse/Electronic-Communication-te.jpg

as well as my McGraw Hill Electrical and Electronic
Engineering Series "Electronic Amplifier Circuits" .

My Radiotron Designer's Handbook by RCA clearly says the
very same thing, that a floating grid can go positive.

Of course all of that pales and fades to meaningless drivel
when one known Ham and one guy without a listed callsign in
the QRZ database disagree with their books.

Perhaps  RCA Corporation, Terman, Giocoletto, Shrader,
Pettit and McWhorter, Harmon, Truxel, and the rest are
wrong. They may have a hidden agenda, perhaps a Tubevinchi
code secret society?

73 Tom