[Amps] setting the grid adrift

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Jul 25 21:26:07 EDT 2006

>> Why? Why do you think a Ham staring at an amplifier panel
>> would understand the statistics of making a mod over a
>> large
>> scale field sample?
>
> Because if 1000 hams make that same mod and they all think
> it was worth the effort then either 1) they are under mass
> dilusion, or 2) something about it worked.

First, how do you know 1000 people did that mod?

Second,  millions of things are sold every year that do
absolutely nothing. Look at the New Age things.

Third, it can easily be demonstrated in controlled tests it
does no good at all.

>You could
> make the argument that the amps they modified were crappy
> to begin with... well ok, maybe now they are less crappy.

Or maybe even slightly more crappy.

> Now, if you and I are unable to imagine an explanation for
> why
> it works, that hardly seems to be their fault.

There really is no imagination to it. It's all very simple
basic physics and basic electronics. The imagination comes
from imagining it does something useful and not being able
to prove it other than through raw emotion.  It's a lot like
telling my wife numerology and the $5000 a year she spends
on new age science things like red light threapy for weight
loss and helth doesn't work.

>You get to one
> of those, "scientist insist bumble bees cannot fly" type
> of
> situations.  That just makes the scientists look foolish,
> the bees
> don't care.

You might  find this link educational:

http://www.paghat.com/beeflight.html

There isn't any scientfic principle at all that says bees
can't fly, but it does indicate something. People who use
that line are generally less able to reason through complex
problems.

Notice in the "bee's can't fly" story on the link one person
initially misrepresented a very simple basic principle, and
from that single point we now have the urban myth bees can't
fly.

The parallel in this thread is the resistor fuses all come
from one clearly defined point source, who never even
properly read the schematic of an amplifier he was using as
an example. I would expect a certain percentage of people to
not be able to grasp the facts, and think the theory was
correct, just like I expect a certain number of people to
believe in Tarot Cards and Ouija Boards.

73 Tom