[Amps] PIN diode mods

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Wed Jul 26 07:06:06 EDT 2006

> I think we are looking at sample variation, and the PIN diode mod likely
> has no effect, for better or worse.

Recall that the mass impetus for the move to PIN diodes came from a series
of articles in QST in the mid-90s and were authored by the president of a
well-known and prominent test equipment manufacturer.

I am not convinced we can make wholesale, condemning statements concerning
the use of band-switching PIN diodes.  I believe the author of those
articles emphasized the need for diode re-biasing in the event the owner
wished to make the PIN diode modifications.

Based on data gathered from those articles, it does appear that only
marginal improvement results under the best of circumstances, although I
seem to recall that the focus of the articles was on improved IP2
performance.

In my own case, I performed a PIN diode upgrade on a Ten Tec Omni Six, just
as the author suggested but I needed to substantially increase diode biasing
current.  Was it worth the trouble and expense?  Probably not.  I honestly
did not measure the "before and after" effect of key receiver performance
parameters.  But what I did measure was port-to-port isolation between Main
and Aux receiver ports.  Isolation with standard Si switching diodes was in
the order of 40 dB.  A +40dB signal on the main antenna S meter would read ~
S9 on the aux antenna port.  Changing the T/R diodes to high-power PIN types
(MicroSemi UM 2110), resulted in spectacular, measured port isolation of
more than 80 dB. (The S-meter was NOT used as the measuring device.)  So,
with respect to that part of the circuit (T/R switch), the upgrade to PIN
diodes was well worth the effort.

Paul, W9AC