[Amps] FS - AL1200 resuscitation candidate

George Watson watson at sierracmp.com
Fri Jun 2 16:01:53 EDT 2006

I have an Ameritron AL1200 that a friend dropped on me which needs a bit of
work and can likely be put back on the air.

First the positives:
1. It powers up and the HV appears to be sound.
2. The tube appears to be good. I have run it up to about a KW briefly on
20, 40, and 80.

Now the negatives:
1. The meter board has problems, the HV metering works, but the Ip metering
has been intermittent. It has some burned components on it which continue to
self digest.
2. The T/R relay is out. My friend wired it for an external one.
3. The Tune cap is pitted pretty badly and has some slagged edges. It arcs
on the higher bands especially here at 2500m above sea level. It will need
replacement.
4. The bandswitch may be miswired.

I think that about covers it. I would like $375.00 OBO + shipping which will
be expensive. I will break the amp into three boxes, one for the chassis,
one for the transformer and one for the tube. I will have to purchase
suitable packing material.

Make no mistake, this is a restoration project of an amp with a not-too
certain history. From what I can tell, its fundamentals are sound. I simply
don't need the amp for operating and I don't have time (despite all good
intentions) to do the restoration.

If I do not get a reasonable offer by 1800MDT, Sunday, I will plop the beast
on E-bay.

Thx es 73 de K0IW
George K. Watson