[Amps] FS - AL1200 resuscitation candidate

R L Measures r at somis.org
Wed Jun 7 05:07:07 EDT 2006

On Jun 2, 2006, at 1:01 PM, George Watson wrote:

> I have an Ameritron AL1200 that a friend dropped on me which needs
> a bit of
> work and can likely be put back on the air.
>
> First the positives:
> 1. It powers up and the HV appears to be sound.
> 2. The tube appears to be good. I have run it up to about a KW
> briefly on
> 20, 40, and 80.
>
> Now the negatives:
> 1. The meter board has problems, the HV metering works, but the Ip
> metering
> has been intermittent. It has some burned components on it which
> continue to
> self digest.
> 2. The T/R relay is out. My friend wired it for an external one.
> 3. The Tune cap is pitted pretty badly and has some slagged edges.
> It arcs
> on the higher bands especially here at 2500m above sea level. It
> will need
> replacement.

Tune caps can intermittently arc from intermittent regeneration in
the region c. 100MHz -- and burned current-metering components go
hand in hand with intermittent arcing.  Replacement is usually not
necessary if one uses a small flat file to smooth things up.  An air-
variable Tune-C can look like hell and yet work well.

Does this AL-1200 have "neutralization" circuitry?

> 4. The bandswitch may be miswired.

Missing contacts from intermittent arcing are more likely.  Ameritron
is a good source of replacement bandswitches.

> I think that about covers it. I would like $375.00 OBO + shipping
> which will
> be expensive.

$375 is a good price if the 3cx1200A7 is still usuable.