[Amps] IM distortion and such

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Tue Jun 27 16:58:08 EDT 2006

Ok,

I went and pulled my Eimac book down. I hadn't earlier where it was at as I couldn't hardly reach it from my wheelchair.
I guess I need shorter book shelves : ) Anyhow, this one does have the Class AB2 listed as below from page 2. Strangely, this one does not mention class B like the pdf did.

Quote;

Radio frequency Linear Amplifier
Cathode driven
Class AB2

Maximum Ratings:

DC plate voltage 4000 Vdc
DC plate current 0.4 ampere
Plate dissapation 500 watts
Grid dissapation 20 watts

Typical operation (Frequencies to 110 MHz)
Class AB2, peak envelope or modulation crest conditions

>>(Here I'm going to show the maximum plate voltage they show of 3500 Vdc)

Plate voltage 3500 Vdc
Cathode voltage +15 (+10 at 3000 and 0 at 2500)
Zero signal plate current 53 mA
Single-tone plate current, CW 3/4 400 mA
Two-tone plate current 262 mA
Single-tone grid current  108 mA
Two-tone grid current 58 mA
Single-tone power input 1400 W
Useful output power, CW or PEP 890 W
Resonant load impedance 5000 ohms
Intermodulation distortion products;
3rd order -40 dB
5th order -45 dB

Single-tone current for 3500 Vdc operation may reach this value during short periods of circuit adjustment only.

IMD products are referenced against one tone of a two equal tone signal.

Currents listed corrospond to SSB, or "two-tone" average current at peak of signal envelope.

End Quote.

Best,

Will