[Amps] Panel lettering, scales, dials, etc

Alan Ibbetson alan at g3xaq.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 1 18:11:31 EST 2006

I asked

 > I would like to create a front panel for my latest homebrew project
with
 > better markings than my usual Dymo tape ugliness. I've located some
 > material called Water-slide Decal Paper that I think could fit the
bill,
 > but only if I can find a suitable PC package to draw tuning scales,
band
 > position markings, and so on.

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/ ]

In detail:

In addition to the recommendations on the list, I also received off-list
suggestions of Brother/Dymo clear label tape, and vinyl peel and stick
lettering from stationary suppliers. But what to do about dials for
things like rotary controls?

Colin <k7fm at teleport.com> gets very close with this suggestion:-

"I make my own panel material using decal paper, however I have never
found the perfect software and have to combine stuff.  You can do it
with things like AutoCad, but that software costs as much as a new car
and then you need to go to college for 4 years to learn how to run it.

"One program I have found very useful is a program written by a French
author called "Graph Paper".  It lets me make those things like you
would have behind a tuning knob.  You can select the degree rotation and
major and minor ticks.  Works great and you can learn it with the amount
of energy it takes to sip a cup of nice English tea.  About $30.  This
software lets you make all sorts of things like music sheets, graph
paper or dials.

"The water slide paper is not perfect and requires some thought into
color. The perfect color for the lettering is white, with a black panel.
But few printers print white.  The Mannesman Tally MT-1000 does, but it
is out of production.  I have one of those and they are amazing.  I have
tried lower contrast printing, like light yellow on a charcoal
background, but the contrast was unacceptable.

"For some of my panels, I actually went a different route and they are
quite good.  I created a panel on regular high gloss white paper.  Then
I could use different colors.  After printing, I laminated it, cut holes
out for the controls then glued it to the front panel.  These panels
look outstanding. One minor problem for a normal printer is there is a
limitation of 8.5" x 11" panels.

"I also made some very nice decals without even using decal paper.
Printed out colorful "decals" on regular paper.  Then covered the front
and back with clear wide mailing tape.  Then cut out the desired "decal"
and glued it on.  I made a copy of the old Ameco 1 tube transmitter and
needed an Ameco label - with a lightning bolt.  It came out beautiful."

The French graph paper package to which Colin refers is available here

http://www.marquis-soft.com/

The Dials drop-down gives what most people will want, and the interface
is very simple, but I wanted something with a little more flexibility.

As Colin said, professional CAD packages will do everything but cost a
fortune and are hard to learn. CorelDraw is just as excessively
feature-rich, although it is available on 15 day free trial if anyone
wants to learn how to drive it and then instruct the rest of us.

Most of the freeware CAD packages I tried over the past few days were
either poor at lettering, had scaling errors with my particular printer,
were unfathomable, or often all of the above. This site summarises some
of the wide range of software available in this area

http://www.freebyte.com/cad/

Finally, I tripped over a package called Front Panel Designer. It does
everything I want. It is intuitive to use. It produces accurately sized
output on my Lexmark inkjet printer. And it is free. Download it from
here

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

If you want professionally CNC milled panels then this company can do it
for you too. Here is a website showing some examples

http://www.strings.ph.qmul.ac.uk/~thomas/synthdiy/frontpanel.htm

--

Cheers,

Alan G3XAQ