[Amps] HB amps

k7fm k7fm at teleport.com
Thu Mar 2 21:53:00 EST 2006

Hi Carl:

I operated 3 x 813s in an amp for a number of years and worked about 250
countries on 75 meter phone.  The power output only measured about 600
watts.  My high voltage was lower than it could have been.  600 output watts
is about right for 2 x 813s.  The amplifier was bulletproof.  I never had to
change a tube nor open the amp once.

I now have about 10 amps that put out in the 1200 to 1500 watt range.  They
are all reliable, but I doubt if there are very many contacts that I amke
with 1200 watts that I could not have made with 600 watts.  The newer amps
do look prettier and are smaller, but my quality of life has not improved.

There is a custom you should know about with 813 amps, though.  They should
look utilitarian, be large, use surplus meters, use a BC-375 bandswitch and
be painted a proper boat anchor color.  Rack mounting is good.  Casters are
good.  Large round Westinghouse meters are preferred.  And, no leds - you
need incandescent lamps, preferably with the large round jewels.

Oh, I forgot, the relays should appropriately clank when you go from
transmit to receive.

Some of the other fellows may also remember some of the other things I
missed.

73,  Colin  K7FM