[Amps] Panasonic "inverter" Switching HV power supply

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Thu Mar 9 11:05:01 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/9/2006 9:43:18 A.M. Central Standard Time,
wlfuqu00 at uky.edu writes:

I have not had the time to get back to experimenting with the
Panasonic Inverter Microwave oven HV supply. Have any of you had a chance
to actually use one? I did some experiments and was able to control the
under load output voltage  from about 500 volts to 3kV.    The ovens were
about $75 at WalMart  a year ago or  so.

73
Bill wa4lav

Amps mailing  list
Amps at contesting.com

Hi Bill I have not used one of those inverter style power supplies yet but
they do sound interesting.

I have recently been experimenting with a transformer style microwave oven
power supply for possible use as a helix voltage power supply for a traveling
wave tube project. These supplies have a 2100vac transformer used with a half
wave voltage doubler to reach an output voltage of about 6kv no load.
Interestingly, the output diode is the magnetron and there is no filter C at  that
point. I guess clean dc is not a requirement for cooking food.

Is the inverter unit intended to also work with a doubler for similar
voltages? Have you looked at ripple voltages under load and if so how was that?  The
transformer type power supply, having a 60Hz waveform has a few hundred
volts ripple under load. If the inverter unit is running at a high switching
frequency then perhaps the ripple voltage is much improved.

I am curious if the inverter output is d.c. or a.c. and if it uses the
magnetron as part of the rectifier circuit. If it does use the magnetron in this
manner then there is a good chance an additional pair of capacitors and diodes
can be added to make up a times four multiplier to reach 10 to 12 kV. Some of
 the higher power TWTs need 9 to 10kV for the helix and this would be a great
way  to generate the voltage at 5 mA or so.

Thanks for mentioning your experiments there as I appreciate being made
aware of the high voltage inverter.

73,
Gerald K5GW