[Amps] SB220 refurb TSPA

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Fri Mar 10 18:00:10 EST 2006

John,
Very nice work! Especially how you took the mods out one by one. I
thought the shielded tube socket was a horrible idea for cooling, but
someone obviously thought shielding was more important. It goes to
show that cheap ol' Heapkit stuff was pretty decent.

The SB220 is my favorite SSB amp. I always liked the simplicity, sort
of the VW of power amplifiers, but yet it worked well. My other
favorite Heath is the KL1 Chippewa from 1960, pair of 4-400A's with a
enclosed blower on the back.

My 220 has most of the standard mods, like bias mode
switch(standby/op), step start, better rectifiers, Measures
suppressors, better ant relays, improved input matching. I think I
picked it up 12 years ago for $250, thats about 20 cents/watt for
typical 1200 watt linear output on 20 meters.

73
John
K5PRO