[Amps] Threads - was idiocy - perhaps it still is

Ian White GM3SEK gm3sek at ifwtech.co.uk
Tue Mar 14 14:16:00 EST 2006

Gary Smith wrote:
>The nickname in many years past was "Royal Oilfield" due to the amount
>of drippings that was left on the ground whenever they were (and this
>was often) parked.

A few months ago, I had the pleasure of touring the Bletchley Park
ENIGMA station with Roy Lewallen, W7EL. They have all kinds of related
exhibits there, including a fine display of old communications receivers
(British, American and German) and a fully restored dispatch rider's
motorbike.

Roy was making the usual American jokes about "Bet it drips oil" and...
well, let's just say it really was authentic in every detail.

Next on display was the "BOMBE" which was a mechanical computer for
grinding through code combinations. We walked round the back... and sure
enough, the whole base of the thing was one big drip tray! Made an
American's day.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK