[Amps] series-connecting a split-stator variable cap

Val val at vip.bg
Mon Mar 20 02:24:06 EST 2006

Will,

The sections will be put in series by the common rotor. Each of the 2
stators ends will be capacititor's end. The rotor and the frame will be
insulated and will work OK. Have done that.

73, Val LZ1VB

> The capacitors rotor has to go to ground, and the stator to the tank coil
to work. Generally, the rotor is connected through >frame ground via a
wiper. The stator is insulated. There's no way of increasing the voltage
unless the plates are spaced >further apart. If you series the sections by
using a jumper across the screws, you increase the capacitance, not cut it
in half. >You have to paralell them to do that and there's no way to do it.
To get less capacitance, or cut it in half plus raise the >voltage, remove
half the plates at every other plate. That will increase the air gap and the
voltage rating, plus cut the >capacitance of the section in half. Those
plates will come off as they're just pressed on.