[Amps] series-connecting a split-stator variable cap

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Mon Mar 20 02:52:31 EST 2006

Val,

How is it possible to change the voltage rating unless the air gap spacing is farther apart? I can't see how you can make a series circuit if the rotors are on a common aluminum shaft unless there's an insulating busing between the sections dividing the shaft up. Most every air variable I have ever seen that's 2-3 section, the rotor shaft is a single aluminum or brass shaft with all the plates pressed on it for all the sections. The stator is divided up and can be jumped over to add the capacitance of each section. To series it, each section would have to be insulated, both rotor and stator. Then, I could see dividing the voltage up by two. That's the only way I can see doing it myself.

Best,

Will