[Amps] MW Oven Transformer question

Will Matney craxd1 at verizon.net
Tue Mar 21 12:07:29 EST 2006

If you want to add turns to the primary (if there's enough room, and should be with the secondary removed), you can do a simple test to see how many turns to add. First, use the formulas I published last week about figuring the core size and number of turns to find the correct number of turns for the core size you have. Next, connect the primary to 120 Vac and wind a 10 turn coil secondary. Take that secondary voltage and divide it by the 10 turns. That will be the turns per volt. Last, wind the extra turns you've found you need by the formulas and the known turns per volt. One good thing on this transformer in question, the primary is on the inside. If on the outside, you'd be screwed on removing the secondary.

Best,

Will