[Amps] rf choke on output

R at contesting.com R at contesting.com
Tue Mar 28 11:39:42 EST 2006

On Mar 27, 2006, at 7:41 AM, Partain, Chuck wrote:

> I read some info about the rf choke on the output of the amps to work
> in case the blocking cap fails.

If the load C is your typical 1500v air variable, and the DC blocker
cap fails, the load C will act like a protective spark gap, and clamp
the HV to c. +20v until the mains circuit breaker opens.  However, a
RFC across the load-C does nothing on RX to bleed static charge off of
the antenna.

> I see different values listed plus I read in these archives that one
> can be made from #24 wire???

A high-value resistor that is rated for 1kV or so will safely bleed
static charge off of the antenna during RX --  if is connected across
the output RF connector. With this arrangement, the high-value R can
also serve as the voltage-divider for the diode-detector relative RF
out circuitry.   The covers-all-bases arrangement is one such bleeder
resistor across the load C and another one across the RF out spigot.