[Amps] Class C amp for RTTY contesting...

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 09:55:03 EST 2006

Tom said:
>I don't have many waveform shots but here is a DX-60.
http://www.w8ji.com/heathkit.htm<
Certainly the stock DX60 doesn't look too good. After all this time, I can't remember what my DX40 was like: I think is was beter than that, although that TX got modified - not many DX40s had 160m added!
Anything with a clamp tube should have been pretty easy to get good. I do recall one commercial tx designed (in about 1946) for on/off keying at speeds up to 150wpm (obviously from a machine): it was keyed in the driver and had a Class C PA of 6 807s in push-pull parallel. Because of the speed, they needed fast rise and fall times to avoid what today we'd call ISI (Inter Symbol Interference). It clicked pretty badly at hand keyed speeds!!
It would be interesting to see pics of rigs like Valiants, KW1, 32V3 and Rangers though - real radios!
73
Peter G3RZP