[Amps] Class C amp for RTTY contesting...

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Nov 3 12:41:37 EST 2006

> Anything with a clamp tube should have been pretty easy to
> get good. I do recall one commercial tx designed (in about
> 1946) for on/off keying at speeds up to 150wpm (obviously
> from a machine): it was keyed in the driver and had a
> Class C PA of 6 807s in push-pull parallel. Because of the
> speed, they needed fast rise and fall times to avoid what
> today we'd call ISI (Inter Symbol Interference). It
> clicked pretty badly at hand keyed speeds!!
> It would be interesting to see pics of rigs like Valiants,
> KW1, 32V3 and Rangers though - real radios!

Valiant at:
http://www.w8ji.com/valiant.htm

This is the waveform of a modified unit. A stock unit is
only a little better than a DX-60.

I'll eventually get some shots of a 775DSP and other rigs as
they come through here so people contemplating a grid driven
PA can see what they are dealing with when power is turned
down to 50 watts or so. It isn't pretty.

73 Tom