[Amps] "Booster help"

StephenTetorka at cs.com StephenTetorka at cs.com
Fri Nov 10 15:17:25 EST 2006

Hi Guys:

Figure if anyone knows...you guys sure would.

Here's my challenge.

I picked up a beautiful homebrew SSB generator...K2YOR SK RIP...circa 1957 -
1967'ish...up at Hosstraders before the camping/singing/drinking...great trip!

I got it basically working on 80 & 20...can't say how well as the scope
patterns are new to me...and just don't exactly match those I've seen in the texts
etc...( took pictures of them if anyone wants to see.)

The RF output is a 6CL6...with I'd guess ...maybe 0.5 watts out...if that
much.

I could try it as QRP...and probably will as its sitting ready.

But I'd like a little more output - as I've got enough challenges in other
departments to keep me occupied...

The only linear I have is a Shoebox II...also homebrew...per CQ Magazine July
1967...uses 4 each 6HF5's..does FB with a 20 to 40 watt exciter...grounded
cathode/untunned grid input.

Soooo...I need a 'booster amp' if I might call it that...to interface between
the 6CL6 and my Shoebox.

It just so happens that I have a homebrew 6146 using a 12BY7 oscillator.

Therefore, I thought I'd ask for your generous suggestions before I go into
surgery outputting RF into the grid circuit of the 6146...ie...bias, matching,
plate E and I...etc.

Kind regards,
Steve
WA2TAK