[Amps] History of AMPS

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Nov 14 12:52:43 EST 2006

> On the Yahoo Amp Reflector I got 8 to 10 messages a day
> that dealt with the minutia of amp design that few Hams
> would consider significant to Amp Use, Repair and
> Ownership.  All of the messages were from the same two
> contributors.  Occasionally another would chime in to add
> to the discussion but very little pertained to my interest
> in Amps.  This is fine as I am sure that there were many
> who were interested in the discussions.  BUT (you knew
> that was coming, right?) the amount of "trash talk"
> generated by the main contributors (notice I said
> "generated" not posted) was immense.  The attacks were
> relentless and to me, meaningless as I did not understand
> the point over which someone was being called unspeakable
> terms for holding some opinion.  I quit the reflector as I
> gained nothing from it.
>
> There might have been some really important things being
> exchanged in that forum but I could not wade through the
> garbage to find it.

People tend to migrate towards what they are comfortable
with.

Some people like technical discussions, some people are not
comfortable with the technical aspects of our hobby and
enjoy the emotional or fighting side.

The obvious contrast between this reflector and the Yahoo
group gives people a clear choice.

73 Tom