[Amps] Is Amps still in existence?

Peter Chadwick g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 9 04:43:24 EDT 2006

GM3SEK said:
>It's 50mm OD x 125 tall (2in x 5in in old money) but a ceramic former is
very unlikely to have holes in the right places for securing the two
separate windings. That's where a Teflon former would score, in terms of
being able to drill it easily.<
If it's getting hot enough to make fibreglass smell, is it not hot enough to start doing nasties to PTFE? The thermal decomposition products of PTFE are definitely not nice - for the rig and for the operator. 5 inches by 2 inches sounds very like the coil formers used in the old TU5B unit for the BC191. I've never tried, but I wonder if it's possible with a small masonry drill to actually drill holes where you need them? I seem to remember suggestions that you can drill glass that way, but, from memory,  you do it under water to prevent resonance shattering the glass.
73
Peter G3RZP