[Amps] "10 Meter Ban" to be lifted ...

Jim Tonne tonne at comcast.net
Sun Oct 15 15:41:12 EDT 2006

About peak versus average or DC:

> didn't the ARRL license manual back in the
> early 60's early 70's perhaps  say that PEP was about 2 times DC plate
> power?

I am fairly sure that such a statement WAS made - but it was
for two-tone testing, where you had a pair of sinusoids added
to form the modulating signal, continuously.  But speech is not
sinusoidal, as we all know.

A point that has not been mentioned here is that what exits the
transmitter in the form of SSB doesn't really replicate the speech
modulating waveform.  About all you can say is that it's similar.
The shape of the envelope doesn't agree with the modulating
waveform like it does with ordinary AM.  Typically its "peakier."

- JimT