[Amps] Bad Tubes

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Sep 29 15:43:23 EDT 2006

> RF parts lists 4CX800's at $349 each so two for legal
> limit is $698.  Eimac
> 8877 is $799 with good MRI pulls in the $250 range.  A new
> 3CX1500D7 is $695
> direct from Eimac.  I have never been a fan of Russian
> tubes and now that
> they have raised their prices so high, I will probably
> never buy one.  Given
> their track record and the bad rap they have been getting
> lately, I can't
> see them in business for long...

It isn't just lately Mike.

About one fourth to half of the sample tubes I obtained
years ago were bad out of the box and they had no signs of
being mishandled. When I considered they also might not be
available at any time due to the source, I opted to not use
them.

I'm sure they are fine for a homebrew design, but I'd never
depend on them in a commercial design.

73 Tom