[Amps] 3-500 Pins? (AA6DX - Mark)

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 02:52:18 EDT 2007

David Lisney wrote:
> Hi,
> lead will be continued to be allowed to be used in solder for some
> applications, so the premise that it will be instantly forbidden is
> untrue...
I agree there are exceptions, but for the most part they are temporary
or esoteric. Just about all 'normal' manufactured electronics is
covered. Perversely, so is antique/second hand gear if it's not been
sold in the EU before.

Given the way that the 'fixed installation' exemption in the directive
has been interpreted in the UK (e.g. CCTV, alarm systems, built-in
appliances are not exempt) I'd be confident that the industrial tool
definition won't be allowed to cover QRO PAs. As a component the tube
itself is outside the directive, it's equipment containing it that's
affected. Even if an industrial heater was allowed to use a tube with
leaded solder in it, the same equipment sold as a ham PA would not.

Anyhow, if anyone is selling gear to their fellows inside the EU,
describe it as 'for spares', then it's ok and you won't have the lead
police chasing you round the globe.

I understand what the bureaucrats were trying to achieve, but they got
it so wrong...

Steve