[Amps] Rehabbing that dusty old

Steve Thompson g8gsq at eltac.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 07:14:14 EDT 2007

>> Manfred mentions his experience being with a Kenwood amp (but not which
>> one). Nichrome might not be a wonder cure, but Henry, Dentron and
>> Measure's suppressors are all more effective than those fitted in a TL922.
>
> Yes, the amp was a TL922.
>
> So, you are proposing that the problem doesn't happen with the Chinese
> tubes simply because they have less gain at VHF? I didn't even think
> about that... I thought the Eimac tubes were just plain gassy! But you
> may well be right.

I don't want to suggest it that strongly - but the suppressor in the
TL922 puts noticeably less R in at vhf than others that I measured. As
I'm always keen to point out, the suppressor isn't the only place you
can make or kill parasitic oscillation, so maybe it's not an issue in
that particular design. It's not like there's a shortage of other things
that could cause the problem.

Steve