[Amps] tetrode vs triode in GG amp TSPA

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Thu Apr 26 18:54:26 EDT 2007

Sometimes its availability. I am replacing a GG triode amplifier used
at 200 MHz, with a GG tetrode amplifier. The triode is run near the
limit of plate dissipation and was designed 50 years ago. The tetrode
is capable of ~2X as much, having multiphase cooling, and was
designed 10 years ago. The triode had self bias with a cathode
resistor. The tetrode requires both a control grid and screen grid
power supply, as the cavity doesn't lend to cathode resistor anymore
(different amplifier structure). Price of tubes is comparable, power
supplies are pretty costly however, as screen voltage is up to 2000
and screen current is in the Amperes. (10 kW supply!).

For amateur use, triodes in GG are wonderful if you can get them.
Simple. For class C plate modulated or FM, tetrodes are great too -
depends on the tube manufacturer as to what is available in many
cases.

73
John
K5PRO