[Amps] rotary switch - shorting/non-shorting

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Tue Aug 28 06:42:15 EDT 2007

> I just fried a rotary switch in my little MFJ-901B
> L-Tuner.
> The switch in that tuner is shorting the "lower portion"
> of inductor to the
> ground.
> Usual situation from manual - "bla-bla-bla, never switch
> the band while
> applying full RF power..."
> In my case full power was just a 100 W - pretty funny
> number in AMPS
> reflector :)

Alex, the single biggest operating problem in tuners is
always how we set the capacitors.

The same T- network tuner that blows up at 100W into a load
with the capacitors set at a low capacitance value will
often handle several times that power when the user adjusts
the tuner correctly.

If MFJ upgraded that manual it should have a clear warning
to always use the minimum inductance and maximum possible
capacitance that allows a match.  If it wasn't upgraded and
doesn't warn you of that, that is still what you should do.
Always use the absolute maximum capacitance that allows a
match on any band. You will have minimum loss, maximum power
rating, and maximum bandwidth without retuning.

> I was looking (at mouser.com) for replacement and looks
> like I found what I
> need, but I have no idea what kind of switch I suppose to
> use there -
> shorting or not?

Amplifier tank or tuner, you NEVER want a shorting switch.
( I never did get that fully drummed into the people at Amp
Supply.)

A shorting switch means the contact, as the switch is
rotated, picks up the next contact before releasing the last
contact. This is unnecessary in a tuner or amplifier.
Shorting switches almost always have significantly less
breakdown voltage than non-shorting switches of the same
type.

The confusion comes from the fact we often want a
pick-up-and-hold switch, which some people mistakenly call a
"shorting switch". The other less common name for "pick up
and hold" is "progressively shorting", but that is NOT the
same as a "shorting" switch.

You never want to order a switch called a "shorting" switch.
If you do that the leading rotating contacts will come
positioned closer to the next open contacts so it "makes" on
the new contact before the old contacts are released or
before the detent locks the switch. You will have a switch
that is intentionally built with close spacing to the next
open contact, and we never want that.

What we do want is either progressively shorting (rarely
used as a description in catalogs) or pick-up-and-hold or
"holding" type switch. A conventional switch can be wired to
do that if it has an extra rotary contact. Generally all we
need to do is grab the"half-way" tap and tie it to the
common on higher bands, although it sometimes is better to
pick up and hold larger inductance contacts as inductance is
switched out.

73 Tom