[Amps] rotary switch - shorting/non-shorting

n7ka at comcast.net n7ka at comcast.net
Fri Aug 31 12:20:57 EDT 2007

Peter and all.

This has been MY understanding of a shorting (progressive) rotary switch.  On smaller switches the contact bar on the rotor is continuous and progressively shorts contacts together as switch is advanced.

I do have several Radio Switch model 86 switches with a progresive shorting feature. Instead of a continuous bar they use multiple contacts on the rotor (call them tongues, fingers, whatever).  I have not seen the progresive shorting feature on switches larger than the model 86.

The break-before-make or make-before-break switches define a different switch function.  If a constant load must be maintained when switching then a make-before-break switch would be appropriate to use.  Can not think of any use in my station.  If just switching a source from 1 path to another (constant load not required or desired) then the break-before-make switch would be appropriate.  As stated previously, its the width of most of the contacts (in many switches) on the rotor that determines which switch is what.

Two very common uses of the progresive shorting switches are in RF amp output tanks circuits,  shorting coil taps as ones goes from 10 to160M, adding additional fixed capacitance to both the Tune and Load capacitors (used mostly in the Load side of the circuit).

Example:  The SB-220 uses a progresive shorting switch on wafer 2 (taps on coil). Wafer 1F is NOT progresive (its 2 pole 5 position)

Arne N7KA

From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp at g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>