[Amps] rotary switch - shorting/non-shorting

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Fri Aug 31 12:53:49 EDT 2007

> The break-before-make or make-before-break switches define
> a different switch function.

In the USA they are primarily called "shorting" switches
when dealing with rotary switches.
This is what messes some people up.

They think "shorting" means progressively shorting but in
every case I've seen for rotary switches shorting has meant
either the contact indexing or wafer is adjusted or designed
to make with the new contact before the connected contact is
dropped or the index is in the detent area, or the contact
itself is wider and closer to the next contact.

Either way it lowers the voltage.

What you are calling "break before make" is really called
non-shorting by rotary manufacturers, while "make before
break" is called shorting.

I've looked through some off-shore catalogs and they appear
to follow that guideline also.

So it looks like "pick-up-and-hold" or "progressively
shorting" is what we generally want.

Drake, Heath, and Ameritron used a non-shorting Centralab
switch with pick up and hold  rotor configuration in the
tank inductor area. Ameritron used a shorting style wafer in
the tuned input to reduce alignment problems.

73 Tom