[Amps] MFJ and Dahl

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Dec 9 15:31:41 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Brown" <jim at audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: <amps at contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2007 11:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Amps] MFJ and Dahl

> On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 11:12:21 -0800, Ward Silver wrote:
>
>>But how many of us could pay that price?
>>Not many and certainly not enough to make a company work, year after year.
>>Yes, MFJ quality often stumbles, but if that is all the ham market is
>>willing to pay for, I don't know what economic miracle would enable or,
>>from
>>a strictly business standpoint, justify more.  MFJ fills an important
>>niche
>>in the amateur market and I am glad they do.
>
> I strongly disagree. When a company blankets a market with low cost low
> quality stuff (as MFJ and Walmart do), it usually pushes other companies
> with
> better quality stuff at a somewhat higher prices out of the market (and
> often
> out of biz). Some may see that as a good thing, but I don't.
>
> 73,
>
> Jim Brown K9YC

I agree, Jim. Dahl is a great example. Dahl had a good following not
because he had the lowest prices, but because he had a reputation
for building a top-notch product. People buy Dahl because the
wanted something bullet proof.

Also there is a difference between engineering for cost and cutting
corners. The Heath SB-220/221 is a great example. It was engineered
to balance cost and performance. Was it brick on key like an Alpha -
no, but it was/is both reliable and affordable.

Part of the problem is the customer. If the customer make price the
king, you end up with Walmart/MFJ. But the selling price of an item
doesn't always reflect the true cost. If it keeps breaking or fails
prematurely, the it may in fact not be cheaper than the more
expensive built-to-last product.

MFJ sells some good and useful products. My voice key appears
to be well built and it works great and my MFJ-269 has been a
workhorse. MFJ cantenna dummy loads - great. That's the good.

The bad - I once bought a serial interface adapter for an FT1000D
from MFJ. It took for ever for it too get to me and when it did it
didn't work. The MFJ tech swore it was tested, but when I opened
it up it and traced out the circuit, it was clear that it had been
miswired and never could have worked as shipped (there was no
way it was tested and worked). I sent a letter addressed to Martin
when I returned the interface admonishing him to do a better job.
I don't know if he ever read it.

I don't wish any ill on MFJ. They have a good product portfolio,
but I can't help but think that with some simple process
improvements and/or better quality assurance they could run a
tigher ship. I know their reputation hurts sales. People I've talked
to are for instance gun shy about buying the old Hy-Gain products
because there is a feeling that they may suffer the ills of MFJ
quality. Buying a keyer of dubious quality is one thing, but when
you are talking about rotators and antennas the amount of work
required to repairs things once in the air makes one think twice
about risking it on something coming from MFJ.

I'd rather path a 20 to 30% premium on something that I can trust
is going to stay together than end-up with something that is
going to fall apart on me when I need it to work.