[Amps] input/output transformer switching

kg7hf at comcast.net kg7hf at comcast.net
Tue Dec 11 23:37:32 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies on the LK500, everyone seemed to converge on the same area to check out.  I'm in the process of replacing the parasitic suppressor resistors.

While I wait for parts....

Background:   I've mostly finished up my solid state amp based on the MRF141G using Motorola app note AR313.  One of my original design goals was 160 - 2 meter operation & 70cm, but that is another PA strip.  As it seems to be turning out, it's basically impossible to make 9:1 and 1:9 input/output transformers which work over that broad of a range.   The transformers I have work accoring to the app note, but that doesn't give any performance on 160, 80, and 40 meters.

Solution:  Remove the original matching transformers and replace them with a circuit board with two input transformers and two output transformers and some relays to switch between them.  The difference between the transformers would be the permability of the core material one in/out set would be for lower frequency operation, the other for higher frequency operations.    I've drawn up a simple schematic showing the switched input and output transformers.

http://home.comcast.net/~kg7hf/Project2/MRF414G_TEST1.JPG

Does this seem like it would be workable, assumeing lead lengths are all kept short?  Is there any way to reduce the number of relays?  I was possibly thinking about combining RL2 and RL4 since only half is used on each.

Thanks,
Paul KG7HF