[Amps] High voltage rectifiers for Henry 3K

JMLTINC at aol.com JMLTINC at aol.com
Mon Dec 24 19:50:16 EST 2007

I would. If I had a '32 Ford, it would have the original 8  cylinder
flathead. The "deuce" was one of the most popular cars to be  hot-rodded.  Maybe some
people do it because the original parts are  not available at the time, or the
car is too far for restoration. Some people do  it because they "know better"
than the engineers. In the end, it came down to  horsepower and prestige.

A Henry amp with homemade rectifiers will bring no prestige. And  today, like
the Deuce, is worth a lot less than a "factory equipped"  model.

Mods and value are in the eye of the beholder.

Merry Christmas too.
-J

"That would be like putting a Chevy 350 into a '65 Mustang (or a  Ford  390
into a '70 Chevelle 354). It will work, perhaps look OK, but still a
'butcher'
job."

Amateurs, by their very nature, are  resourceful.  Indeed, one of the
justifications for amateur radio is  that during an emergency they can make
things work.

When a part  breaks in my amp, transmitter, receiver, engine or aircraft, I
do not  hesitate to fabricate my own replacement.  The fact is that if a
factory part breaks, it may be inadequate for the purpose intended.   So, the
goal then becomes to make a replacement better than the  original.  If I
could not do that, frankly, I would lose interest in  amateur radio.

I restore old radios, and some parts are simply not  available.  Sometimes I
need to make duplicate knobs.  When I get  done, nobody will know which one
is the original and which one is the  clone.  Duplicating a rectifier block
is trivial.  It would look  just like the original.

In some cases, where the part is ugly or does not  work very well, putting in
a factory replacement part might be a butcher  job, while putting in an
improved part would be that - an improvement.   In some cases, where the
performance is the justification for it's  existence, the looks may not be
critical.  It needs to be  reliable.

My brother put a supercharged Chevy engine in a 32 Ford and it  won a lot of
car shows.  I would not call it a butcher  job.

Merry Christmas   Colin   K7FM