[Amps] High voltage rectifiers for Henry 3K

JMLTINC at aol.com JMLTINC at aol.com
Mon Dec 24 20:30:06 EST 2007

> That would be like putting a Chevy 350 into a '65 Mustang (or  a  Ford 390
> into a '70 Chevelle 354). It will work, perhaps look  OK, but still a
> 'butcher'
> job.

And a 440 into an old  roadster is considered a "custom" job worth far more
than the  original.<:-))
Says who? A fellow has a restored (with factory parts) Deuce and  figures it
is worth $125,000. My guess that is conservative.

There are a couple of places out in Ca that do this
sort of thing for a  hundred grand and up. They have waiting lists.
In California, everything is overpriced and hyped. I wonder how  much one of
those would go for in the Midwest.

Sorry, I just  can't believe that installing an improved recitifier stack
makes it a  "bucher" job if done by any one posessing even rudimentary skills
at working  with resins and knows how to build a power supply.
Who says the end result will be improved?

 OTOH I've seen repair jobs using factory components that really did  look
like a
butcher job, so it's far more the skill of the one doing the job  than the
parts.
Agreed.

Second source rectifier stacks are the same  thing as I'm talking about. The
only difference is they use a permanent mold  rather than a cast of the
original stack. For that matter the originals are  constructed the same way.
Agreed again.

With only a little skill the home brew stack looks as good as  the original
and a bit of research could contain the same parts. However,  many of us
could produce something much more robust than the original that  still looked
like the original for far less money.
Well, time is money. And we are talking about a "Classic" amplifier  here;
not an Ameritron (uh-oh, a new brew-ha-ha). The Henry freaks may not  agree. I
have a 3K Ultra, with all original parts. Tom tells me it is worth  about
$5,000. Next time I talk to him, I'll ask about homemade  rectifiers.

The transformer in mine has been replaced by a heavy  duty Peter Dahl which
is generally considered an improvement.
I am sure original x-formers have failed (including P.D,'s), but  the
original is rather robust. However, I would not argue the  transformer point to
excess; with some provisos as to your  replacement.

I'd place the new rectifier stack properly  constructed in the same class.
Make one indistinguishable from the original including markings and  I will
agree.

Going back to cars - people go to great lengths to make sure "the  numbers"
all match. And they don't put a Mustang II front end into a classic  car
because it has superior disc brakes, suspension, and rack and pinion  steering; if
the idea is a restoration.

I guess it gets to whether you want a Classic or a  Custom.

-J

73

Roger (K8RI)