[Amps] 807 transmitter

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Feb 5 18:54:18 EST 2007

> Has anyone built "K5DH's 807 CW transmitter" (Google) ?
> I've built just the
> amp section but can't get it to load. I'm driving it with
> a sig gen at 3.9
> KC.
>
> According to the on line calculators, L3 is at 10.3 uh,
> but should be 18.5
> uh., for 75 meters.

Dana,

There is a VERY wide range of tank Q's that will work just
fine. People go way overboard fussing around to get a
certain Q that is really just a wild approximation anyway
and often wrong.

The minimum Q you can use and have the network behave like a
Pi is the square root of the impedance ratio plus a tiny
bit. This would be a phase shift of about 90 degrees.
The highest Q is really limited only by the components and
how narrow you want the tuning.

If the tank components are reasonable quality you won't
notice much difference in performance over a VERY wide range
of Q's, so don't get caught up in the "Q-steria".

Now I'm assuming you are running deep class C and you meant
3.9 MHz and not kHz  :-)  and your generator has enough
output to drive the tube (a few watts anyway if it is
running directly into the grid circuit) and anode voltage is
about 750 volts.

If so, the plate voltage would swing about 500 volts RMS.
That would be about 5500 ohms plate loadline with 50 watts.
Let's say you want a pi that would match 20 ohms as a
minimum impedance.  The tank Q would have to be a minimum of
sqrt 5500/20 = 16.5 plus a little. Let's say 17 would be a
good number.

You can see from this how the idea all tanks need a Q of 12
falls apart.

The plate C would  be 125pF, peak voltage just over 700.
The inductor  would be 13.3uH and current would be 1.6
amperes RMS.
The loading cap 500pF

Then when you have a 50 ohm load (or higher) all you need to
do is close up the loading cap and re-dip the plate.
18.2.

With 75 ohms the settings would be loading 1050pF, tuning
138pf, and L would still be 13.3 uH. Now the loading moves
in a normal direction because Q is significantly higher than
the minimum needed (phase shift 150 degrees).

If you use the values I just gave with a tank inductance of
13.3 uH  and  capacitors of 150pF and 1300pF you could match
any pure resistance between 20 and a hundred ohms or more.
The reason the load cap works "backwards" at low Z is we are
running right on the edge of minimum Q. Phase shift is only
around 100 degrees.

So you see the fellow who wrote the article is probably
closer than the on-line calculators. The tank inductor would
have to be 13.3 uH or LESS to have enough Q to match 20 ohms
to a few hundred ohms. he probably had a little more Q than
necessary, assuming his cap values were correct (I didn't
read it).

Remember the rule. You need a tank Q of at least the square
root of the largest impedance ratio you expect to match plus
a small safety factor. That would set the maximum L value at
the highest frequency for any band. using less L than that
would be safe, and more L means it would not tune under the
impedance extremes.

73 Tom