[Amps] 3CX1500A7 versus 3CPX1500 TSPA

John T. M. Lyles jtml at lanl.gov
Mon Jan 22 12:54:21 EST 2007

Hi Bob
thanks for the explanation on the interelectrode capacity. Sounds close.
I have a 3CX1500A7 running around 5 MHz here at work, in a rebuild
plasma amplifier, to test components. It runs out of plate current
usually when I push it as the Ep is lower.

Of course, tested at Eimac at 8kV is relative to what atmosphere they
used. If done in ambient conditions in their factory in San Carlos
(now Palo Alto), that is near sea level. Mine runs at 7000 feet above
sea so I have to derate things accordingly or they arc.

Yes, running at VHF with tubes is a bit more problematic as the
charging current in the leads can be higher and cause losses and
heating at the seals of the tube. Dielectric heating may also come
into play for glass tubes, not so much with Alumina ceramic though.

It is usually better to load them heavy with lower Ep when pushing
the frequency extreme.

73
John
K5PRO