[Amps] GS-35B vs 8877

Gudguyham at aol.com Gudguyham at aol.com
Sun Jan 28 10:16:44 EST 2007

The other day Larry brought up the subject of the GS-35B tube.  Just  prior
to his posting I offered up a late date coded fully tested full output
3CPX1500A7 with my usual guarantee of satisfaction to the buyer.   I  got no takers
for the 3CPX1500A7 as of yet, but I told Larry and the others here  that I had
a NIB GS-35B I wanted to sell.  Offered it up for $85.00.   Larry promptly
grabbed it in a heartbeat with a private e-mail to me.   Within in 10 minutes to
Larry's swift decision, 3 more offers to buy the tube  came to me.
Unfortunately I do not have 3 more of those tubes.  Sorry  guys.  So while we are at it,
I'd like to go over my experience with these  2 tubes.  I built a 6 meter
mono band amp from an Ameritron AL-82  platform.  I wanted to try the GS-35B.  I
read somewhere that this  tube was nick named "the poor mans 8877"  So for
$100.00 each I bought 3 of  them.  Back to the 6 meter Ameritron, fabricated a
sub-chassis  arraignment to mount the GS-35B neatly in the Ameritron space
available.   All went well with about 1/2" to spare at the top before hitting the
top  cover.  Had to add mucho additional bias voltage, no problem though.   Get
everything working nice nice.  Being a stubborn Italian, I no stoppa  til I
getta ever bitta a powah outputta.  My Granma always said "we don't  wasteta
notting"!!   Well after chocking the chicken after it's been  dead, I ended up
with 1600 watts output with 100 watts drive.  No mas No  way.  Hey not bad,
1600w on 6 meters.  Previous to this, I did a  similar job, but using an 8877 in
the place of the pair of 3-500's.  Same  scenario, mono band 6 meter.  This
time all things being equal, I get 2300  watts output.  Ok, so the 8877 costs
about $300.00 more than the  GS-35B  but I get 700 watts more, that's 50 cents a
watt.  Grandma  says that's cheap so I go with 8877's now.  Buon Giorno
Tutti.    Luigi