[Amps] Re 200w fast relay

Roy royanjoy at ncn.net
Tue Jul 10 10:57:23 EDT 2007

Thanks,

But I not ask the question--I answered it.

73,   Roy    K6XK

Roy:

The Mastushita RSD-12V relay works well for under 200W.  Note that in a 50
ohm system, the current and voltage will be 2A and 100V RMS. Normally, you
plan for peak (2.82A at 141V) and then double those for safety; therefore,
5A at 300V will be plenty conservative at 200W.  T-storm survivability will
drive the requirements higher.  I always disconnect so that I don't consider
lightning or precip static.  If you run QSK, you must consider the coil
current and time constant so that you do not shorten life by excessive "hot
switching."

The term "RF" relay is now applied by any shady marketeer.  It used to mean
something 15 or more years ago (silver plated contacts, transverse
electomagnetic routing of signals thru the contacts) but it means nothing
lately.

However, with the very compact designs, relay parasitics are generally a
non-issue thru VHF.  At UHF, you can tune a frame relay with treating it as
an inductor, and placing shunt caps on input and output making it a 50 ohm
pi network.

73,

Steve, K0SF