[Amps] 200 Watt Fast Relay

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Jul 10 17:58:05 EDT 2007

> Here is a problem I have with relay specifications.
> Usually, for weak
> signal applications we use gold plated contact switches
> and relays. Since
> most relays or switches are normally exposed to air,
> oxidation can form and
> weak signals can't always be conducted between them.

Unfortunately you can use any plating you like and a
percentage of relays will eventually mess up if it has
exposure to "air".

The most common problem for sealed relays (not vacuum, just
enclosed) is contamination caused by the materials in the
relay. It's a tiny layer just a few molecules thick.

That's why the contacts have to wipe, or have a small amount
of current when closing.

Vacuum relays cure that problem.

73 Tom