[Amps] drive power

EP Swynar gswynar at durham.net
Sat Mar 17 10:30:05 EST 2007

On St. Patrick's Day Steve wrote...

 Do I next assume that I need 4  813's match my transceivers 100w max ouput
level?  With what have folks been driving all those homebrew 2x813 amps over
the years?

****************************

Steve, I think you may be confusing drive requirements with output/input
matching here, I'm not sure...!

I have a pair of 813's in a home brewed parallel grounded-grid set-up...I
can easily get 600-watts of RF output out of it with little more than
60-watts of drive.

My design was based upon a piece written-up in CQ magazine some 20 years
ago.

An excellent primer on the design & construction of amplifiers may be found
in a 3-part series written by Bill Orr (W6SAI) in HAM RADIO  magazine back
in the late 70's...I think a lot of guys have forgotten about it, but to me
it's MUST READ stuff for anyone contemplating the construction of a g-g
amplifier.

Beg, buy, borrow, or otherwise steal the June, July, & August 1979 issues, &
see for yourself...

It's sure to answer a lot of questions you now have, & help dispell the fog
of apparent mystery that surrounds such undertakings!

~73!~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ