[Amps] drive power

Karl-Arne Markström sm0aom at telia.com
Sat Mar 17 10:15:19 EST 2007

The drive power ratings for different circuits (grid-driven and cathode-driven) may look
confusing.

In the grid-driven AB1 circuit, you only need drive voltage which corresponds to sufficient power to overcome the grid circuit losses and the electron transit time losses. On the lower bands these sum up to a fraction of a watt.
It is however considered good engineering practice to limit the stage power gain to 100 or 20 dB, because a higher gain can be prone to stability problems.

The cathode-driven or "grounded-grid" circuit uses up a fraction of the driving power in the grid circuit, and the remaining drive power is fed-through to the plate circuit and appears there as useful output power. A "normal" grounded-grid circuit is limited to a stage gain of about 10 - 30 due to the inherent degenerative feedback.

There have been many designs of power triodes that use this gain range to their advantage, so a 100W class radio conveniently can drive a 1000 - 1500 W output amplifier.

In the cathode-driven triode-connected 813 case the drive power quoted is in the 10 - 15 W per tube range
depending on the plate voltage, which would correspond to a required drive of 20 - 30 W for a pair.

Nothing prevents an user to use a "pad" or attenuator before the amplifier input, or to "swamp" the input circuit
(grid or cathode) to absorb excess drive power. This would be in line with a design practice sometimes used with
grid-driven amplifiers using very high gm tetrodes or pentodes where the grid circuit consists of a 50 - 100 ohm resistor.

73/

Karl-Arne
SM0AOM