[Amps] rfi

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 1 22:49:32 EDT 2007

OK, here's my story.

When I was in Colorado, I had a ne'er do well neighbor behind me.
This guy had been a bit of a jerk in many different ways and he once
came over to my place with some "muscle" in tow to tell me how much
trouble I was causing. I happily showed him and his muscle the
station, handed 'em an FCC RFI booklet, and sent 'em away somewhat confused.

Then he got a touch lamp in his second-floor living room, which was
easily visible from my operating position.

That touch lamp was a pretty sensitive receiver and even at 100W, it
went completely nuts on 20 m. I used CW almost exclusively at the
time, but SSB did it in, too. For a long time, he couldn't figure it
out, but one day I saw him out on his balcony looking carefully over
at my house. I ducked down out of sight and programmed my keyer to
send "RFI TEST DE N5OP" continuously at 20 s intervals. I then went
out and mowed my lawn. He watched me mowing my lawn while his touch
lamp went nuts and finally went back inside and unplugged it. He
certainly couldn't accuse me of the problem! I was mowing the lawn!

But that's not the end: I had a good friend who had just passed his
Tech over one night. I saw my antagonist in his living room, watching
his TV, with his touch-lamp on.

We grabbed some binoculars and I said "Watch this."

Keeping all lights off, I programmed my keyer with "RFI TEST DE N5OP"
and fired up my TS-930S. As if my magic, his touch lamp began it's
routine. He got out of his chair and looked at my house. Dark as a
tomb. He readjusted the lamp and just as he sat down, it started
again. He did this trick several times and every time, as if on cue,
it went nuts again when he sat down. By this time my friend was
almost unable to breathe due to his laughter. But them came the piece
de resistance: the lamp started its routine again and this time the
guy leaped out of his chair, grabbed the lamp and shaking it as if he
were choking it, ripped it out of the wall socket and *threw* it down
a hallway. Needless to say, that put the poor touch lamp out of its misery.

My friend complained for some days afterward that his sides hurt from
so much laughing. Mine did, too.

Kim Elmore, N5OP