[Amps] rfi

Max Harelik mharelik at comanchetx.com
Wed May 2 00:41:23 EDT 2007

This borders on OT, but I can't resist:

Back in my military days (1966-1970) I was an airborne weapons control
systems tech. Late one night, while completing routine maintenance on
the system and its radar, a green no-stripe came walking through the
hangar with an armload of 4 ft. fluorescent lamps. (You can already see
where this is going, can't you?).

(Normally, we had to work with the radar under an RF blanket to keep
from interfering with nearby commercial airport traffic. This night,
however, the airplane happened to be in a hangar whose doors were
pointed out to sea and well clear of civilian patterns, so I had left
the blanket off the radome, to see what I could see "out there". )

I recalled that one can check SWR on a mobile antenna by holding up a
fluorescent lamp next to it. I thought, "Well, he's not next to it, but
I'll give it a try, anyway," and with the aircraft hand control, made a
sweep past him. The effect was satisfying: The lamps lit up in a random
fashion (ghostly, if you will) and the troop froze, and with nothing
moving except his very wide-open eyes, looked fearfully around.

Now I was on the other side of the hangar, and he couldn't see me,
hunkered down in the cockpit as I was. After a bit, he tentatively took
a step, and I gleefully gave him another sweep. The lamps lit up again,
he hollered, threw them up in the air, and was out the door before they
hit the hangar floor.

Figuring that I better vacate before he came back with his supervisor, I
finished up, buttoned up, cleared the A/C records, turned ground power
off, grabbed my tools, and headed for my shop at the far end of the
hangar. Sure enough, about 10 minutes later he was back with his Sgt,
trying to explain what had happened. I watched from my point of relative
safety, as, with frantic gesticulation and articulation, he attempted to
convince his boss that he hadn't just tripped and dropped the lamps. No
go. He was made to clean it all up, and they left the hangar. Probably
had to pull some KP, too, but I never knew for sure.

Disclaimer: We were instructed never to stand in front of the aircraft
with the radar system on, or point the radar continuously at anyone,
(the sustained RF could blind one, or worse, truncate one's reproductive
potential) but momentary exposure was deemed acceptable. So, I felt ok
with those quick sweeps. The cautions/orders were taken seriously,
though we occasionally target-practiced on birds out on the ramps with
dramatic results.

73,
Max, K5OVW